This is a layout for a made-up architecture magazine titled ARKITEKT. It is geared toward the young, modern urbanist demographic. My subject was a small development outside of Zürich, Switzerland, near Lake Zürich called “Seewurfel” which means “Lake Cubes”. I used very minimalistic typography so as to not take away from the imagery. For the images I chose to crop and place them in a manner similar to the site plan for Seewurfel.
I designed the masthead to be a “built” piece of the layout to emphasize the architectural aspect. I started with sketches and moved to Illustrator for the finished product.
This was a personal-spec experiment in branding myself. I have found that I am a tough client. This was a good exercise in self editing and time management. Before I committed anything to pixels, I answered some basic questions:
What are my strengths?
Colors I like (#ae2024, #777 by the way)
Designers I admire?
Work I enjoy?
Based on my answers I started sketching as many different ideas as I could muster. Then I did a little research on other people’s branding journeys for inspiration. The option that grabbed me the most was beginning from geometric shapes (hexagons in this case). I like using basic shapes as a jump-off point sometimes, because they intrinsically just fit together.
This was a short time frame (90 minutes) personal project to recreate a print advertisement from pre-1980 that could be placed in a current magazine such as Wired. The original advertisement I found was for Apple Computers and away I went. The original ad from 1979 can be viewed via Classic Computing.
I attempted to grasp the minimalist Apple design aesthetic and mix it with a little humor. I also wanted to convey the idea of just how easy it is today to but a computer. In 1979 you had to call Apple on the telephone and now you can just go online to the Apple website purchase everything you need with minimal hassle.
This project was another short time line to stretch my skills a little. The brief was to take an object that I have with me everyday and create 3 print advertisements with 3 different directions to follow:
Show the item in a positive light
Show the item as an inferior item
Show the item in a metaphorical light.
I chose my earbuds as subject matter. The first direction, positive, was meant to look similar to but different than original AKG® print ads. All of the images were found online to go with the short time I was given, so I do not claim ownership of any of the pieces I used.
The second direction, inferiority, put the AKG® headphones up against the Beats By Dre Studio™ headphones, with the Beats™ headphones winning out for various reasons.
The final direction put the headphones in a metaphorical context as a mind-reading tool used for counseling purposes.
So this one was a stretch of both my technical skills and time-management skills. In this particular situation, I was given 90 minutes to brainstorm, create and polish a logo for a street-art driven clothing company. Being a short timeline, I chose to use some pre-made elements that I had ay my disposal. I do have to give credit to one of my favorite illustrators Hydro74 for the typeface “Corpus Delicti”.
This is an illustration I did that was included with parts kits to aid in self-installation. It was meant to supplement text-based directions. The addition of this piece to the package cut back on service-assistance calls significantly.
Here is some of my packaging logo work for a new product line. All of the work was done in Illustrator. I tried multiple directions to get a feel for what the employer wanted. In the end the simple type treatment in the bottom right is what he chose. That choice goes along with the direction and feel of the company in general. They only have a few products that are very specific in use so consumers already have made their choice by the time the company is contacted. Limited competition also limits the need for graphic work to bring in new business.
This is a business card idea I put together for a former employer. The idea was to update his current card which is just a basic card created in Microsoft Word®. This project was completed in about 4 hours using Illustrator and Photoshop